You may be surprised to know that in 2010, the British Orthodontic Society reported that the “Ugly Betty Effect” caused adults in the UK to opt for train-track braces despite there being a more discreet option of Invisalign to straighten teeth. Plus Katy Perry made geeky train-track braces look appealing in her “This Friday Night” music video.
To some of us, there is nothing more annoying than crooked teeth that can’t seem to grow themselves straight. Well, fret not and book an appointment to see Dr May Ling Eide, Dental Surgeon with Postgraduate Training in Orthodontics, or Dr Eugene Chan, Dental Specialist in Orthodontics, who can straighten your teeth without anyone knowing.
The pivotal thing in straightening teeth is to prevent tooth decay, gum disease, and early tooth loss (that’s right, it’s not all about looks!). Also, there is no shame in being a young adult with braces (even our dentists had them when they were younger).
Here’s what in store for you if you choose Invisalign:
- Invisalign straightens teeth just as braces do, with the exception that Invisalign uses a series of clear aligners to gently move your teeth in place.
- You get new aligners (one for the top set of teeth and one for the bottom) roughly every two weeks and these aligners are custom-made to gradually shift your teeth into proper alignment.
- Unlike regular braces, Invisalign aligners are removable, so you can take them on and off whenever you want.
- You can eat whatever you want and not worry about food getting stuck in your braces.
- You can take off your aligners to brush and floss normally.
- Invisalign is comfortable – there are less issues with abrasions on the lips.
- A lot of people like that their snacking decrease substantially since they prefer not to take the aligners out and then brush to put them back in. This means a chance to lose weight!
Most importantly, for those not inclined to wear visible wires on their teeth, Invisalign is virtually invisible – analogous to “contact lens for your teeth”.
Invisalign, in many cases, is an alternative to conventional braces to align your teeth. If you need to straighten your teeth, know that it’s not just about having a good smile – it’s also about your health. And in case you were wondering, those aren’t actual braces on Ugly Betty. America Ferrera (the actress who starred as Betty) admitted on Oprah that they are a clip-on device that she takes on and off for shooting. So reality is far different from TV.
To discuss your treatment options with our doctors, contact us at (65) 6733 7883 or book an appointment online via our website. To read about Dr May Ling Eide’s personal experience of wearing braces as a child, check out our her blog post here.