How was 2012 for you? At Specialist Dental Group (SDG), we found that 2012 just passed in a flash. Here is a quick recap of the highlights of 2012:
A major milestone for SDG in 2012 was being the Recipient of “Best Healthcare Experience” of the Singapore Experience Awards. This is an annual award ceremony organized by the Singapore Tourism Board to recognize companies and individuals who have made a significant contribution to the tourism industry in Singapore.
The SDG team was absolutely delighted and excited as this was the third year in a row that our clinic had been a top 3 finalist in this category, and we were sharing the finalist category with esteemed companies such as Mount Elizabeth Hospital.
We were also honoured to be able to present a donation of $20,800 (from our dentists and staff) to the Rainbow Centre in December 2012 to support the operations of the dental clinic. Dr Elizabeth Tan, our specialist in Pediatric Dentistry, has been a long-time volunteer with the Rainbow Centre, and together with a team of other dedicated volunteer dentists, has been treating the dental needs of about 900 special needs students at the Rainbow Centre.
New Staff and Members of the SDG Family
We gave a warm welcome to our new staff who added even more international flavour to our diverse team:
- Nicole, our accounts and HR executive, who is from Malaysia originally;
- Farah, our Marketing Communications executive who hails from Indonesia;
- Soyoung, our dental nurse, who moved from Korea to Singapore in search of warmer weather… and
- Lena from Indonesia, who used to work with us a few years back in Business Affairs.
Further additions to the SDG Family included:
- two baby boys, born to Dr Helena Lee and Dr Ho Kok Sen respectively.
- Three weddings – Dr Elvin Leong, our nurse Lavinya’s Registry of Marriage ceremony, and Lena’s wedding in Medan.
It was certainly a joyful year with all our new additions.
Our SDG team of dental specialists continued to be active in sharing their clinical and professional knowledge with dental colleagues in Singapore and the region.
- Dr Ansgar Cheng lectured in five countries this year – in Hong Kong, Los Angeles (USA), London (UK), Medan (Indonesia) and Singapore.
- Dr Neo Tee Khin gave several lectures in Singapore and Indonesia
- Dr Helena Lee attended several seminars in Singapore to maintain on the cutting edge of her specialty area of periodontics (gum treatment)
- Dr Ho Kok Sen lectured in Singapore and also made a trip to Portugal as part of continual dental education in the area of implant dentistry
- Dr Elvin Leong gave talks in Indonesia and Myanmar
- Dr Francis Lee attended several conferences in Singapore on orthodontics
- Dr Elizabeth Tan attended conferences on pediatric dentistry locally and internationally
- Dr Daylene Leong delivered some presentations in Singapore and also travelled to Melbourne, Australia for continual dental education in dental implants
- Dr Eugene Chan continued to give workshops on Invisalign in the Asia region including Singapore, China, and Taiwan.
In addition to the lectures and conferences above, our team of dentists maintained their academic contribution to the dental community in Singapore through their teaching positions with the National University of Singapore. They continued to be active in the respective professional organizations including College of Dental Surgeons of Singapore, Society of Periodontology Singapore and Prosthodontics Society Singapore.
Our dentists were also featured in media interviews in the Straits Times, Lianhe Zaobao, 95.8 Capital Radio, 93.8 Radio, Ezyhealth & Beauty and many more.
Our nurses and administrative staff continued to attend education events to further improve their skills. These included a hands-on implant course during the IDEM dental meeting, an Invisalign course and other customer service classes.
At SDG, we believe that the team that plays together, stays together and works well together. Thus, we had several social and sporting events throughout 2012 which gave us a chance to get some fresh air and exercise while having fun in the process!
Our healthy group participated in the following events in 2012:
- Terry Fox Run in January – our runners helped to raise funds for cancer research and had an invigorating morning run by the beach
- Nike Goddess Run in April – an evening run for ladies in Sentosa (with rain at the tail end);
- The first SDG Games Day – our dentists and staff pitted their skills in Captain Ball and badminton against each other in good fun followed by a good meal
- Shape Run in July – fun morning run in the city for our energetic ladies
- The New Paper Big Walk in August – our guys and girls walked around the city to Marina Barrage
- 100Plus Passion Run in November – our evening run by the beach at East Coast Park followed by a yummy barbeque
We also had fun showing four year-old students of the Little Skool House around the clinic when they came to visit us in March this year. They were a group of really smart and well behaved kids and we hope that their experience visiting the clinic will make them take a positive view of dentists and dental clinics in their future..
That wraps up our busy year in 2012. We are looking forward to some exciting events in 2013. Do watch this space to keep updated on our news.
Wishing all our patients and colleagues a very happy, healthy and successful 2013. Do keep in touch with us through “liking” our Facebook page and subscribing to our Blog. If you have any suggestions on topics you would like to know more about, do drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org