Accidents can happen to anyone anywhere. Due to its unforeseen and unplanned circumstances, most people are unprepared on what to do. However, panic no longer, here are some tips for you courtesy of your friendly team from Specialist Dental Group on what to do in the event of a dental emergency:
Have you ever experienced the crippling pain from an excruciating toothache, especially after office hours or during a public holiday when most dental clinics are closed?
- Painkillers or aspirins (as long as you are not allergic to them) may help to temporarily alleviate the discomfort. However this is not a long term solution.
- Make an appointment to seek dental help at the earliest possible opportunity when the clinic opens in the morning (or the next working day)
- If the discomfort is unbearable, most hospitals have an medical officer at the Accident & Emergency (A&E) department who will be able to quickly assess your situation and contact the dentist on call to assist you.
Knocked out Tooth
If you are active in contact sports, or involved in an accident, it is not unusual for a tooth to be knocked out from your mouth. It is also a common situation for children who have injured their mouth in a fall.
- Do not throw away the tooth but rinse it in water (do not wash the tooth with soap or wipe it with a cloth)
- Immerse the tooth in a glass of milk, or even put it under your tongue for safe-keeping. Apply a cold compress to the area to minimize any swelling.
- In such situations, it may still be possible to save the tooth.. but timing is crucial. You need to get yourself to the dentist within one hour !
Useful Numbers for Dental Emergencies
For Specialist Dental Group patients:
- Contact your dentist at the emergency number on your dentist’s business card
- Email us or make an appointment via our website – https://www.specialistdentalgroup.com/ with details of your dental emergency
You can also contact the A&E Department at the Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Orchard at +65 6731-2218. They will be able to get in touch with a dentist from our clinic to assist.