The 2010 data from Singapore Statistics has indicated that with increasing life expectancy and decreasing fertility rates, the proportion of Singapore residents aged 65 and above has continue to rise.
Ageing is an inevitable and natural continuous process that everyone will go through. We all know that there is a vital connection between a healthy body and a healthy mouth, and this is even more so for senior adults due their unique dental needs.
Many people have a misconception that it is normal to experience tooth loss when one ages. However, senior adults can look great and feel good with a set of nice pearlies and good oral condition, but much effort is needed in maintaining their oral health.
Be it natural teeth, dental implants, dentures or dental restorations such crowns and bridges, your teeth can last a lifetime and still look as good as before if proper maintenance of good oral health and habits are practiced. Below are a few pointers on how one can maintain their oral health.
Eat healthily. Avoid sugary and sticky food. Eat foods that are rich in calcium and other minerals.
- Avoid alcohol, carbonated beverages, coffee and tea as this may result in staining, erosion of enamel or fluorination.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss after every meal.
- Visit a dentist regularly. This will ensure that your dental restoration(s) are in good condition and also help identify any dental or medical issues early on.
- Do a self-assessment of your teeth i.e. keep a lookout for bleeding gums, teeth sensitivity, etc. and visit a dentist should there be any form of discomfort.
- Do not smoke or use any tobacco products. It is not only harmful to the lungs, but the constant harmful bacteria that accumulated in your mouth and between teeth may result in oral cancer for extreme cases.
For all senior adults out there, let’s age gracefully and begin by embracing ageing with a beautiful smile. If you would like further information on how a youthful smile can take years off your looks, read our previous blog post.