When you go for regular dental check-ups, ask your dentist to include an oral screening to check for abnormalities in the soft tissues in your oral cavity.
The signs and symptoms of oral cancer in its early stages of development are often painless and physical signs may not be obvious.
Regular screenings by a dentist or medical professional will ensure discovery in the earliest possible stages when cure and survival are most likely.
Some early indicators:
- Red and/or white discolourations of the soft tissue of the mouth
- Any sore that lasts for more than two weeks
- Hoarseness which does not heal for a prolonged period
- A sensation that something is stuck in your throat
- Numbness in the oral region
- Difficulty in swallowing or moving the jaw or tongue
- A lump or thickening which develops in the mouth or neck
Consult your dentist or medical doctor if any of the abovementioned symptoms persist for a period of time. At Specialist Dental Group®, we now have VELscope to ensure a clean bill of health for your oral cavity. The VELscope is a handheld device that the dentist will shine in your mouth to stimulate natural fluorescence in the soft tissues of your mouth. This allows dental professionals to detect abnormalities not visible to the naked eye under ordinary light.