According to Oral-B’s “Smile More, Brush More Singapore” Campaign in 2012, 59% of Singaporeans identified bad breath as one of the reasons that stopped them from smiling more.
When it comes to bad breath or halitosis, nobody likes to hear or mention about bad breath, because it is an embarrassing topic to discuss about.
Some possible causes of bad breath include:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Periodontal or gum disease
- Localized dental problems such as infection, cracked fillings or dentures
- Dry mouth condition (xerostomia) which can occur due to hormonal changes or medication
- Consumption of certain food or drinks, e.g. coffee, garlic, onions, durians, etc.
- Medical conditions such as digestive system problems, diabetes, ear or nose infections, or some forms of cancer
What you can do:
- Brush your teeth twice daily, for at least for two minutes each time and visit your dentist twice yearly
- Have a balanced diet and regular meals
- Drink plenty of fluids to keep hydrated
- Do not smoke or use any tobacco products
If you are experiencing bad breath, do visit your dentist to determine the cause of the problem. Your dentist can also refer you to a medical specialist should the source be non-dental related.
To find out more about dental issues or to make an appointment to visit the dentist, visit https://www.specialistdentalgroup.com/