You may be surprised to know the British Orthodontic Society claims that the “Ugly Betty Effect” is causing adults in the UK to opt for train-track braces despite the more discreet option of Invisalign to straighten teeth. Plus Katy Perry recently made geeky train-track braces look appealing in her music video.
There is nothing more annoying than crooked teeth that can’t seem to grow themselves straight. Why not book an appointment to see our Invisalign accredited internationally trained UK and Australian orthodontists, Dr May Ling Eide and Dr Eugene Chan who can straighten your teeth… without anyone knowing?
The pivotal thing in straightening teeth is preventing tooth decay, gum disease, and early tooth loss (that’s right, it’s not all about looks!). There is no shame in being a young adult with braces (even our dentists here had them when they were younger!)
Of course, it’s about the cosmetics: teeth shift over time, thus straightening them can take 10 to 15 years off your appearance.
Here’s what in store for you if you were to choose Invisalign:
- Invisalign treatment straightens teeth just as braces do… except that Invisalign uses a series of clear aligners to gently move your teeth in place.
- You get new aligners (one for the top set of teeth and one for the bottom) roughly every two weeks and these aligners are custom-made to gradually shift your teeth into proper alignment.
- Unlike regular braces, Invisalign aligners are removable, so you can take them on and off.
- You can eat what you want and not worry about food getting stuck in your braces.
- You can take off your aligners to brush and floss normally.
- Invisalign is also more comfortable – there are less issues with abrasions to the lips as the aligners have a smooth surface
- A lot of people like that their snacking decreases substantially since it’s just not worth taking the aligners out and brushing to put them back in. The side effect of this is that you lose weight.
Most importantly, for those not inclined to wear visible wires on their teeth, Invisalign are virtually invisible – analogous to “contact lens… for your teeth”
Bottom Line: Invisalign, in many cases, is an alternative to conventional braces to align your teeth. If you need to straighten your teeth, know that it’s not just about having a good smile – it’s also about your health and, if you were wondering, those aren’t actual braces on Ugly Betty. America Ferrera (the actress who starred as Betty) admitted on Oprah that they are a clip-on device that she takes on and off for shooting. So reality is far different from TV.
To discuss your treatment options with our dental specialists, contact us at (65) 6733 7883 or book an appointment online via our website. To read about Dr May Ling Eide’s personal experience wearing braces as a child, check out our Dentists’ Blog here