November 13, 2010 is World Kindness Day. Celebrate the occasion by doing something kind for someone. Brighten up their day … and yours too !
The World Kindness Movement was launched 10 years ago in Singapore to inspire people to greater kindness and to connect nations to create a kinder world. Find out more about World Kindness Day by clicking here.
The end of the year is also a time to look back and give thanks for all the blessings that have come our way earlier this year. Coincidentally, the American (and Canadian) Thanksgiving celebration is also towards the end of the year. It is by taking stock of where we are, and how fortunate that we are, that we also share what we have with those who are in need.
Those of us who live or work near the Orchard Road area in Singapore always know when Christmas is approaching. No, it isn’t the change of weather but rather, it is when the decorations along Orchard road start going up, in preparation for the annual Christmas light-up. We are now counting down for the beautifully lit up city on November 20, 2010.
Christmas is about celebration, joy and gift-giving. Specialist Dental Group is delighted to support World Vision Singapore’s Life-Changing Gift Catalogue for the second year – do consider giving a gift that makes a difference – you can also dedicate a gift to a loved one – what a wonderful way to honour someone special and do a kind deed while putting your donation to work in a practical way !!
Some examples of life-changing gifts that you can give include:
- Gifts for Needy Children, e.g. health screening in India, winter boots in Mongolia, blankets in Myanmar, chickens for Ethiopian children, rice seeds and milk in Vietnam, etc.
- Gifts that benefit the whole community, e.g. wells in Cambodia, bridges in China, pigs for Indian villagers, cows for Indian families, children with disabilities in Sri Lanka, a house for a Philippines family, toilets in Thailand, etc
- Saving street children e.g. one year shelter for a street kid, medical/psychosocial support for abused children in Cambodia, regular health checks in Vietnam;
- Disaster response fund, e.g. water purification tablets
- Child sponsorship for SGD$45 a month
Last year, Specialist Dental Group provided 1,000 dental kits for Cambodian children on a corporate level, while our staff helped to fund the construction of a well in Cambodia, paid for healthcare for a pregnant woman in Myanmar, sheltered a Vietnamese street child, and many other life-changing gifts. We hope that the recipients benefited from better health (physically, emotionally and intellectually) through the dental care kits, the well construction, the fruit trees, the animal farm, the shelter, and the education support.
Look out for more updates on our Website, Facebook or Twitter, once our Tree of Life Campaign is ‘live’.